Since 2007, Wallington has enjoyed something of a boom with new retailers being attracted to the town, including:-
- Tesco Express
- Café Nero
- WH Smith
- Dorothy Perkins
- Lloyds Pharmacy
In addition, there are many major banks and building societies in the town, including:-
A farmers’ market is held in the town outside the old town hall on the second Saturday of each month.
The current population of Wallington is around 19,300. This includes Wallington North and Wallington South.
Wallington: A potted history
Wallington village was part of Beddington Parish until 1867. When the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086, Wallington had 11 plough teams which is a very high number for its size.
Wallington was not officially a parish. However, there was a mediaeval chapel to the south of Wallington Corner. In the 16th century the chapel was described as ‘free’: that is outside the jurisdiction of the parish priest. But what makes it rather exceptional is that it had a graveyard which was normally the realm of the parish churches. A few pieces of Romanesque stonework were found when the chapel was excavated in the 1920s, which suggests that there was a building on the site by the 12th century.
Beddington and Wallington became an Urban District Council in 1915. By this time Wallington was by far the largest settlement and the local authority’s headquarters was there. A town hall was built in 1935. The public library behind it was opened in 1936 and included a reference library donated by William Mallinson who was then living at The Grange.
Wallington suffered damage in the Second World War. There has been much redevelopment in the half century since 1945. Many of the old large houses on the Bridges estate have been demolished and replaced by flats and there have been major developments on the east side of Woodcote Road, around the station, and at the main crossroads on the new Sainsbury’s site.
For a more complete history go to http://drugsfund.com/?fda=buy-female-viagra-pills buy female viagra pills.